Technology Tips for the St. Anthony School Ohana
April 1, 2020 – Stay Connected
Transitioning to a New, Home Based Virtual Learning Scenario – SAS is Here for You!
The challenges of suddenly being home-bound with children that are shifting to a new virtual or homeschool type of learning are many. Each family is facing unique challenges, whether it be sudden unemployment, or parents attempting to work from home while assisting with home-based learning or basic care for their children. Depending on the size of your family and the ages of the children in your home, the challenges will look very different. The number of stories in the news and resources offered to parents are growing fast! Perhaps some will be comforting and helpful.
What follows are some tech-related tips for our St. Anthony School Ohana to support you in your journey.
Please know St. Anthony School administrators, staff and teachers are working hard to provide support in these ways using Technology:
- Weekly Wednesday E-Blasts continue to share critical information. If you are not receiving this very important school communication, please contact the Advancement Office immediately so we can update your email address ASAP. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Daily Message and Prayer from the Head of School, Tim Cullen, on Facebook Live. If you miss the live version, visit the SAS YouTube Channel will recording posted daily.
- Teachers are using a variety of strategies to stay connected with students. If you have questions, please contact your child’s teacher directly, and they can assist you. Many teachers are using hi-tech tools for sharing assignments, such as Google Classroom or ClassDojo, and some are using Zoom or Google Hangouts Meet to engage students in secure live video conference meetings. Teacher emails can be found here on our Staff Directory.
- School Counselor Support – Ms. Johnson is here to help! Please don’t hesitate to reach out if anxiety is mounting. She is also hosting office hours for students and is happy to make appointments to provide counseling for individuals upon request. Contact her at email@example.com.
- Technology Coordinator Tech Support – Mrs. Warren is here to help! Please don’t hesitate to email tech questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. She is here to help teachers, students, and families as they navigate use of new tools, including Google Classroom, Class Dojo, Google Hangouts Meet, Zoom, and more!
GENERAL TECH TIP: Stay connected with us! We are here for you. We want to hear from you and help however we can.
March 2, 2020 – TikTok Tip
There are over 500 million TikTok users worldwide. (10 TikTok Statistics That You Need to Know, 3/2/20, Oberlo). Forty-one percent of TikTok users are aged between 16 and 24 (Globalwebindex, 2019).
Does your student use TikTok?
Here are two sources we recommend that parents review to stay informed and actively engaged with your children on this topic.
- Common Sense Media’s App Review on TikTok:
- The BBC Article “TikTok ‘family safety mode’ gives parents tighter control over teens’ mobile phone habits.”