The Sacred Hearts Fathers, under the direction of Father Leonore Fouesnel, SS.CC., established St. Anthony parish school in 1883. On September 5, 1883, Brother Thomas Eichorn, Francis Marx, and John Parr of the Society of Mary (the Marianists) arrived in Wailuku and initiated the long years of service under the leadership of Mary, the Immaculate Woman, to whom the Brothers of Mary are especially concentrated.
The first of three Brothers opened the school September 10, 1883. The Franciscan Sisters of Syracuse, New York, under the direction of Sister Mary Antonella, OSF, staffed the girls’ school beginning in 1884. The Maryknoll Sisters of St. Dominic, with Sister Mary Celeste as the first principal, began teaching at St. Anthony in 1928 at the request of Bishop Alencastre. Dedicated layman assisted in the teaching beginning September 1958.
Chaminade and Damien Hall were erected in 1925 when the Very Reverend Justin Van Schayk was pastor of St. Anthony Church. It houses the school administrative offices as well as ten classrooms and two computer labs. Maryknoll Hall was built in 1940 and encompasses eight classrooms, an art studio, and counseling offices.
Marian Hall, the cafeteria, was built in 1959 while Father Robert Schoofs, SS.CC., was pastor. The Bishop Sweeny Memorial Library was built in 1965 while Father Walter Demeyer, SS.CC. was pastor. The library was renovated in 2002 and now houses the Harry C. and Nee Chang Wong Media Center.
The science facility was completed in 1967 when Father Alfred Vann, SS.CC. was pastor. The science labs were completely renovated and rededicated as the E. L. Weigand Science Building in 2005. In 1968 the school became coeducational and the junior high was added in 1971.
Today, St. Anthony Junior-Senior High School is the only Catholic High School on the island of Maui. It is a diocesan sponsored coeducational institution under the Bishop of Honolulu, governed by the St. Anthony School Board, and sponsored by the members of the Society of Mary. It is staffed by laymen and laywomen, Marianist Priests and Brothers, and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.
St. Anthony Grade School
Home >> About >> History
The presentation below was created by Daina Collins...